Monday 27 July 2009

French Onion Soup

This is a combination of every recipe I found for French Onion Soup and even if I do say so myself, is amazing ;)

  • 6 large onions, sliced (I used the slicing blade in my food processor, quick and perfect!)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2oz butter
  • 2 cloves garlic (chopped or minced)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 3 pint beef stock (I use Knorr beef stockpot - the little jelly things, the better the stock the better the soup)
  • 3 oxo cubes
  • 300ml/10fl oz red wine
  • 2 tablespoon cognac
  • 4 tablespoon port
  • Crusty bread (optional)
  • Grated cheese (optional)

Fry the onions and garlic in the butter and olive oil in a large pan (I use 24cm round casserole pan 4.2l) on a low heat until soft.

Add the sugar, wine, cognac and port and make up the stock and add that.

Bring to boil, then simmer on a low heat as long as possible. I tend to do around 2-3hrs. Either serve at this point or continue for the proper french experience with cheesy crouton.

About 45mins before serving preheat oven at 180oC.

20mins before serving cut a piece of crusty loaf about 1/2 to 1 inch think for each serving of soup. Brush each side with olive oil and place on a tray in the oven.

After 20 mins, or until brown and crispy, remove bread from oven and chop into croutons.

Preheat the grill.

Serve the soup into bowls or bean pots, put the bread on top, and cover with the grated cheese. Place the bowls under the grill until the cheese goes brown and toasted. Enjoy :)

Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment